Creating a Dashboard
Follow these steps to create a dashboard:
1 Click New from the Dashboard Home toolbar.
2 Drag and drop visual items onto the dashboard canvas.
3 Move and resize the visual items however desired.
4 To delete any items, right-click on an item and select Delete this item.
Changing the Properties of a Visual Item
To change the default characteristics of a visual item, right-click the header bar and select properties.
Visual Item Properties
The following options are available to edit:
• General. Edit the title of the visual item that appears in the header bar. Lock the window by selecting the lock window option, which is useful if you want to lock a single visual item.
• Position. Adjust the positioning of the visual item by entering new values in the X and Y-axis location fields. Resize the visual item by entering new values in the Height and Width fields.
• Controls. The following control settings are available:
• Show title bar. Determines if the header bar appears on the visual item. Select this check box to add the header bar and clear the box to remove it.
• Show borders. Determines if the borders appears on the visual item. Select this check box to add borders and clear this box to remove them.
• Close allowed. Determines if the window can be closed. If this check box is cleared, the close symbol is removed from the header bar and the visual item cannot be closed by the user or the designer.
• Resize allowed. Determines if the window can be resized. If this check box is cleared, the item cannot be resized by the user or the designer.
• Window can be moved. Determines if the window can be moved. If this check box is cleared, the window cannot be moved by the user or the designer.
• Colors and Fonts. Adjust the background color of the visual item or select the Match desktop background option.
Note: To allow the designer to create items easily, some settings for window movement and border control take effect at runtime and not at design time. Border shading and item movement restrictions are different at runtime than they are at design time.
Link a Visual Item to a Parameter Bar
Follow these steps to link a visual item to a parameter bar:
1 Right-click the header bar of the visual item and select Parameters.
2 From the Available Values drop-down list, select the parameter bar that you want to link the visual item to. Click OK.
Linking the Visual Item to the Parameter Bar
Note: Parameter definitions are not required if the query underlying the visual item specifies a default. The default is always used on the dashboard.
3 The parameter functionality for a visual item is set, and the visual item reacts to a selection change in the parameter bar.