Saving Operational Metrics as Favorites
To save a metric as a favorite, you can either:
• Drag the menu item for the metric from the Applications pane to the Favorites pane.
• When the metric is open, click the Add to Favorites button in the toolbar.
Important: These two ways do not create the new favorite in the same way:
When you drag the metric from the Applications pane to the Favorites pane, the new item in the Favorites pane points to exactly the same metric with the same history data. Clicking on the favorite opens the same metric as clicking on the metric in the Applications pane.
When you click Add to Favorites, however, a new metric is created and the new item in the Favorites pane points to the new metric. The reason it creates a new metric is that you are free to make custom changes to it before saving it as a favorite. As with all favorites, the new favorite metric is only visible to the user that saved it. Although the new favorite can have the same name (by default) as the one on the Applications pane, clicking on the favorite opens the new metric. Although the new metric is based on the same browses, the history data saved for the new metric is different. Addtionally, the new metric saved as a favorite by using Add to Favorites does have the scheduling functionality.
Note: If you want the metric saved as a favorite to be the same metric (with the same history data) as the one on the Applications pane, be sure to drag the menu item from the Applications pane to the Favorites pane.
Attaching Metrics History Manually
Metrics history is attached to specific metrics collections that reside as XML files on the QAD home server. If these XML files are replaced by new or modified files (during an upgrade, for example) the system will reconnect the existing history to the new XML files. However, in some cases, due to certain changes in the new (or old) XML files (changes in metric names, for example), the history might not get reconnected. To address this, a history connection screen can be enabled, allowing an administrator to manually connect the history to metrics. To enable this feature:
1 Edit the client-session.xml file, and find the <Metrics> element.
2 Inside the <Metrics> element, add the following:
3 Launch the QAD .NET UI client.
When an administrator (someone with access to create metric collections) runs a metric and right-clicks on the metric name, a History menu item offers the following options:
• Merge — this brings up a window in which the current history chart is displayed along with a chart in which can be displayed one or more sets of history that are available to merge with the current history.
• Replace — this brings up the same window as above, only the selected history set completely replaces the current history, instead of merging with it.
• Unlink — this disconnects the metric from any history allowing history to start fresh.
The changes done in all three cases only take effect if the collection is saved using the Replace option.